Sunday, 11 December 2011






A little introduction for Bay leafs (one of my favorite herbs! <3). They're easy to get and can be used multible ways. Most commonly used in mediterranean cuisine for to bring flavor for soups and the like, the plant also has it's religious roots far back to antiquity. It was possibly most commonly used by the Greeks and the Romans although the plant originated in Minor Asia from where it quickly spread to more suitable climates.

Bay leafs are sacret to Apollo, the sun, and the zodiac sign of Leo. It was a central component of many ancient mythologies and a symbol of honour. In ancient times it was used in Delphi (the famous town of the oracle) to roof the Temple. Bay leafs have long been accosiated with protection against evil. In religious ceremonies, Bay leaves were used to srinkle water around the area. Some say that inhaling the smoke one may increase his/her physic abilities. Bay leaf is also used in love spells according to it's mythology, Apollo falling in love with a nymph named Daphne. It is a common belief that a wish written on a Bay leaf will come true after the leaf is burned.

Bay leaf had an important role in the Middle Ages too.

In the Middle Ages, bay leaves were believed to induce abortions and to have many magical qualities. They were once used to keep moths away, owing to the leaf's lauric acid content that gives it insecticidal properties. Bay leaves have many properties that make them useful for treating high blood sugar, migraine headaches, bacterial and fungal infections, and gastric ulcers. Bay leaves and berries have been used for their astringent, carminative, diaphoretic, digestive, diuretic, emetic and stomachic properties. Bay oil, or oil of bays (oleum lauri) is used in liniments for bruises and sprains. Bay leaf has been used as an herbal remedy for headaches. It contains compounds, called parthenolides, which have proven useful in the treatment of migraines. Bay leaf has also been shown to help the body process insulin more efficiently, which leads to lower blood sugar levels. It has also been used to reduce the effects of stomach ulcers. Bay leaf contains eugenol, which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Bay leaf is also an antifungal and antibacterial, and has also been used to treat rheumatism, amenorrhea, and colic.  - Wikipedia

This article of Bay leafs lead us to my next subject which is the last night's Esbat. I've had some trouble with love spells. They fail, mainly because I find it difficult to vizualise a person who doesn't already exist. And I don't want to interfere anybody's free will. And also, I believe in destiny to an extent that I believe that certain people are meant to be with certain people at certain moments. But last night I wanted to try something with Bay leaves so I draw two rings that cross each other, a symbol that somehow unconciously speaks to me. If I remember right, this symbol is one of the inventions of Scott Cunningham. I have no idea why to do it in a first place.. I don't really feel the need (at least conciously) for realtionship or marriage. But I felt like doing it. So I did. We'll see what happens. Happens or not.

P.S: Sorry for the lack of personal pics. I haven't had time to load the battery of my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment